Sunday, November 10, 2013

Kitchen

So, it turns out when you are remodeling a house you don't have much time to blog. Now that the fall months are upon us I will finally catch up on the progress we have made over the summer. Our first big project was the kitchen. Oh....the kitchen. The previous owners obviously had some type of vision for this kitchen, but to us it was the most ugly depressing room imaginable (besides our bedroom, but that's a future post). The ceiling was gold? copper? something shiny, dark and weird. A wall paper border lined the top of the wall which I dare say was SUPER ugly and the walls were an awkward green. The cupboards were a whole other story.....just take a look at the pictures.....oh and don't forget the plastic "copper" back splash...and the whole thing was cast over with a dark green hue from the light fixture.
I had plenty of time to decide on the paint colors. I looked at probably thousands of pictures while we waited endlessly for the closure process. I knew I wanted something light a bright to wash away the dark sad colors that were there, but I could never find the combination I wanted online. Yellow walls with blue-grey cabinets. I searched and searched but it seemed no one was doing it. So I went for it! My lovely mom, sister, niece and my friend Liz came to help and we transformed it on a hot and humid weekend at the end of June.

We made finishing touches with some curtains my mom had made me for a previous apartment which matched perfectly, some old spice containers from my grandma's kitchen and of course a hand crafted island table and bar by Adam. We picked up some used appliances from a local dealer and put up a shelf to hold my cookbook collection. Not bad for our "small remodel". It will definitely hold us over until we put in our dream kitchen in a few years!





No comments:

Post a Comment